For centuries, the human race has been utilizing the use of copper utensils especially for storing drinking water. The ancient testaments of Ayurveda suggest that storing water in copper utensils have several health benefits. In fact, there have been several studies to back the Ayurveda claims as well.
Copper has several antimicrobial properties. Recently, it was registered that copper is the only solid surface material capable of killing the bacteria which may pose a threat to humans. Several hospitals are taking measures to equip their rooms with copper alloy surfaces.
What happens when you store water in copper utensils?
When water is kept in a copper utensil overnight, traces of copper ions get leached into the water. This process is known as Oligodynamic effect which is equipped with the ability to kill various microbes, fungi, molds, etc.
What does Ayurveda suggest?
As per Ayurveda, when water stored in copper vessel is consumed it balances out the three doshas in our body i.e. the vata, kapha and pitta. This happens because the positively charged copper water which balances and cancels out the negative doshas. This therapeutic elixir is also known as Tamra Jal (Tamra=copper, Jal=water).
The correct way to drink copper water:
1. The first thing you need to get right is to find a vessel (copper water bottle, copper jug, copper tumbler) which is made of pure copper. Stay away from those which have a mix of several other metals. There is a variety of copper utensils available in the market for drinking water such as copper jug and copper tumblers. Nowadays you can also find copper water bottles. Just be sure of the quality.
2. After getting the utensil, make sure to rinse it well with water. Fill the utensil with fresh drinking water and rest it for 6 to 8 hours before drinking it.
3. You can also try this particular way of drinking copper water. Fill up your copper utensil (copper water bottle, copper jug, copper tumbler) with fresh drinking water and keep it overnight. Next morning, drink this copper treated water first thing in the morning. This practice helps in improving your bowel movement. It also keeps your digestive system healthy and your metabolism ignited.
1. Helps improve the digestion.
2. Prevent water-borne diseases.
3. Slows down aging.
4. Aids weight loss.
5. Maintain hemoglobin.
6. Prevents cardiovascular diseases.
7. Stimulates brain.
8. Regulates the functioning of thyroid glands.
9. Fights free radicals.
10. Anti-inflammatory in nature.
How much of copper water is too much?
-> copper water is extremely healthy for you but that does not mean that you can drink it all day long.
-> it is best to drink copper treated water once in the morning and then in the evening to fulfill the daily requirement of copper of your body.
-> maintain a gap of at least one month after drinking copper water for continuous three months. After taking a break of one month you can again start with drinking your copper water again.