Slowly and steadily copper is becoming very popular metal for making cookware and a lot of people are interested in getting in their hands on these beauties. But when it comes to using copper utensils, people are still a little skeptical about the safety aspect when using copper for cooking. This is because there are certain food items which react with copper naturally. Food items such as pickles should never be stored in a copper vessel. Citrus fruit such as lemons, oranges, mandarins, etc. or fruit juices should not be stored or served in a copper vessel. Yogurt or yogurt based items should also be avoided by keeping in a copper jar.

Health risks associated with copper indigestion

The main issue which may arise with the ingestion of copper is gastrointestinal issues. The common symptoms of copper toxicity are very similar to that of gastroenteritis which is diarrhea, stomach ache, vomiting, and cramps. In case of copper toxicity, you may also have a metallic taste in your mouth and you may also feel lethargic and weak. If you notice similar symptoms, immediately get in touch with your doctor immediately. If diagnosed at an early stage, it can be cured. But if left untreated, the symptoms may get really bad.

Unlined copper utensils

There are two types of copper cookware– lined and unlined. Lined cookware is lined on the inside with a non-reactive metal such as stainless steel or tin, in order to prevent any toxic reactions. Unlined cookware is entirely made of copper and is not lined on the inside. It is best to avoid unlined copper utensils such as copper pots and pans for cooking.

Babies and young children

It is best to avoid the use of copper utensils when cooking for infants and young children. If you have been using copper utensils for preparing meals for your young ones and he has been showing the symptoms of gastroenteritis, immediately consult your doctor. It is recommended to always use stainless steel cookware to prepare meals for your children.